Roadside Grave




I'm fasinated by roadside graves. The whole phenomenon of decorating the site where someone died is relatively new to the US. When I was a little girl you never saw a cross or plastic flowers or a vase of flowers in the road marking where someone died.
It just was not done. Those plastic flowers had a home and it was the cemetary where the dead person's body was laid to rest.

I don't know if it is from South America or Mexico, but this tradition has taken over our roadsides. I thought it would be a great book to research and photograph a section of these roadside graves. Would anyone else be interested in the person who died or the persons who are building a tribute to them on the side of the road?

My other idea for books: Photographs of people sitting in their plastic and aluminum lawn chairs in front of their open garage/driveway. Another situation which fasinates me... I mean, WTF, why would you want to sit in your garage or driveway in an uncomfortable chair unless you were having a yard sale??

My last inspiration for a book: Italy
After visiting Italy several times, you learn to carry a lot of coins to use the bathroom. I pee a lot, so I must have seen a thousand strange wierd toliets throughout Italy. The little bent up old women who police them would be included in the photograph. Could you imagine listening to women pee all day? They take your money and point to the door for you to use.
(In France on the Highway, they had machines on the doors and very clean restrooms.. that is for another post...)

Do others have ideas for books like these and if so, would anyone want to read/buy them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Duck has a home